Pages

Aug 27, 2009

Premier Gary Doer to step down



I was halfway across the city when I got the call that Gary Doer was about to start a press-conference where he was going to announce his retirement from public office. I made it on time though I couldn't find the quick-release mount for my tripod!!! I had to tape my video camera to the tripod!

At some point during the show another photog from the paper slipped in and with only brief eye contact we decided one of us would work long and the other short... I happened to be at the front with my wide so I got the short assignment.

I stepped behind the Premier just before he gave his wife a hug and managed to get this shot.



One thing that I noticed while there was that the Winnipeg Sun didn't have a photographer covering the announcement. I could be wrong though. Both of there legislative reporters were shooting with video cameras. I wonder who made the decision on that.

I'm going to bet that Canadian Press photographer David Lipnowski will have the front page for them.

Speaking of which David just sent me this photo of me taking a photo Gary Doer and his wife Ginny Devine. Cool.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, both photos and the description of the behind-the-scenes stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just updated the post with a photo of me needing a haircut... also wish I had changed into pants instead of just talking about it before leaving the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot! It's fun to look at the observers' faces to see their "Awww" looks as Doer plants the kiss on his wife's noggin. Cute.

    ReplyDelete